Thursday, October 31, 2019

Excel Homework Due Nov. 6 at 11 PM

The homework is on bargaining. Note that M&R have a discussion of bargaining in Chapter 5. You should read that. The model they go through has both the buyer and seller having two types. In the Excel homework, the model has a continuum of types on each side of the bargain. In that sense it is harder but also more elegant. And, I believe, it should give you a better understanding about the relationship between the private information and the inefficiency created.

There is a fiction in the model that helps to understand what is going on. The fiction is that there is a third party - an arbitrator - who provides rules for how the bargaining will happen, when trade will occur, and at what price. The fiction is necessary because the model is static. Real world negotiations happen over time and to model that correctly one needs a dynamic model. There are such models, but they are well beyond the scope of our class. So we will keep the modeling relatively simple and wave our hands about what happens in real world bargaining.

There is a rather extensive discussion in this homework before you log in. I encourage you to read that carefully and not gloss over it. It is about how to bargain well and what happens in real-world procurement, which entails a good deal of such bargaining. There are practical lessons here that you can carry over to your work life, even if you don't engage in procurement. To encourage you to read that part, there will be a concept quiz due the morning of Nov. 7, before class, that focuses on the procurement section.

12 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble with the first question on the adverse selection page.
    The question asks to find the slope of a fair insurance line (variable load equals the probability of loss) for a low risk type
    I tried doing D25*D29,low risk type probability of loss * fraction of teh population that is low risk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that I'm only seeing this now. But you are posting your question in the wrong place. Look at the post on the adverse selection homework and then read through the comments and see if your question is answered there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the homework and got all the answers correct but the key is not showing up. i double checked and i know i filled out everything, but it is still not working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that I also completed the homework and answered all the question correctly but the key isn't showing up.

      Delete
  5. I made the pulldown menu larger for one question and as a result moved the Correct/Incorrect cell to the right by one cell, but I forgot to change this where the key appears. I'm sorry about that snafu. I've uploaded a new version of the Excel homework where that issue is fixed. If you download that and then copy your answers from the your previous attempt, you should be able to get the key. The easiest way I know to do this for the formulas is to copy what you've typed in the formula bar and then paste into the formula bar of the new version of the homework. (This has to be done in the correct cell, of course.) It's a bit of busy work, but I hope not too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clicking the form link in the homework sends me to the Fall 2017 page for bargaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right - I just made an announcement about that on the class site, with a different link. Sorry for the inconvenience. I've had more than my fair share of senior moments the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm confused on how the seller maximizes expected gain's from trade with all information given. I tried taking the derivative with respect to price, but it is not working. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind -- I got it! I took the derivatives wrong.

      Delete
    2. Do note that on this homework, the derivations actually are given after the question is posed. This is probably not the best pedagogic method, but it made it easier to deal with anxious students near to the deadline.

      Delete